Essential oils for your wellness routine
Essential oils may have gained worldwide recognition for their versatility now, but their use is not new. Since 1500 BC, our ancestors have been using essential oils and other botanicals for their healing properties and aromatherapy.
Essential oils are aromatic liquid extracts of various potentially beneficial plants that are typically used as an alternative form of medicine. They contain higher levels of active ingredients and often have a stronger smell than the plants they are extracted from. Aromatic compounds give each essential oil its unique characteristic essence. The aromatic essence is extracted from the plant using two methods; Steam or water distillation and Cold pressing.
Essential oils are used in almost every field of life because of their remarkable characteristics. Besides diffusing them as a natural way to scent your home, essential oils can also be inhaled or rubbed directly on the skin after being diluted by a carrier oil. They also have properties that make them slightly antioxidant, antibacterial, antiviral, and insecticidal. Below are seven essential oils that can be used to help promote overall well being along with the benefits they may provide:
Oils for calming effects
Essential oils are renowned for their relaxing and calming effects. Diffusing these oils into your home can help you manage your stress and find a calmer state of mind.
- Lavender: Lavender is one of the most widely used essential oils. The fresh scent regulates your mood and calms anxieties that will help you ease into relaxation after a hard workout or a busy, stressful day.
- Jasmine: With its floral scent, jasmine stimulates the blood flow, clears the mind, and provides relaxation for the nervous system. The overpowering scent keeps you away from feeling sleepy or drowsy.
- Frankincense: Frankincense has a woodsy and muskier scent that acts as an excellent substitute for those who don’t like the smell of flowers. They contain properties that ease pain, calm the nervous system and even help fight anxiety and depression.
Oils to boost your energy
Some essential oils help you stay energized throughout the day. They boost your energy and assist you to decompress.
- Peppermint: Peppermint is the fierce healing oil that can be used to energize your body. It also relieves aches and pains and reduces post-workout muscle soreness.
- Eucalyptus: Due to its healing properties, Eucalyptus oils are often used to treat a variety of common medical conditions. They boost your nervous system and help you stay calm all day long.
Oils that induce sleep
Certain essential oils tackle insomnia and promote sleep by clearing your airways and preventing sleep disruptions due to snoring or sleep apnea.
- Clary Sage: Clary sage is a natural sedative known for its antidepressant effects. It has been shown to reduce levels of the hormone cortisol, often associated with stress.
- Lemon: Lemon oil helps slow your heart rate, lower blood pressure and reduce feelings of anxiety and thus promotes sleep.
Besides acting as an air freshener, an essential oil also controls several unconscious physiological functions and exerts a physical effect on your body. Therefore, you must try essential oils to polish your wellness routine.
Having said that, using poor-quality and non-natural fragrance oils can create skin reactions and allergies. They can also cause headaches and general sensitivities. Therefore it's advised to purchase essential oils from leading oil suppliers who guarantee best quality. HEM offers a wide range of high-quality and premium essential oils that can be used for aromatherapy, massages, vaporizer, diffuser, in Oil Burner, Inhalation, for spa etc.